subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Hett <ste...@egosoft.com>
Subject Re: svn propget -R prints unnecessary blank lines and complains when you specify --strict
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:39:35 GMT
On 9/16/2016 7:48 PM, Jeff Orrok wrote:
> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)
>
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.7.14 (r1542130)
>    compiled Nov 20 2015, 19:25:09
>
> Copyright (C) 2013 The Apache Software Foundation.
> This software consists of contributions made by many people; see the
> NOTICE
> file for more information.
> Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.apache.org/
>
> The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
>
> * ra_neon : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol
> using Neon.
>   - handles 'http' scheme
>   - handles 'https' scheme
> * ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
> protocol.
>   - with Cyrus SASL authentication
>   - handles 'svn' scheme
> * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
>   - handles 'file' scheme
>
> To my knowledge, subversion is the standard package provided by the
> CentOS repos.
>
> Transcript of terminal session follows
>
> 11:22~/Work$ svn propget svn:ignore -R core-api
> core-api/WebContent - answers.home
>
> core-api/WebContent/cdn - tmp
>
> core-api/WebContent/cdn/images - *.png
>
> core-api/WebContent/cdn/merchants - *
>
> core-api/WebContent/cdn/program_templates - *
>
> core-api/WebContent/docs - *
>
> core-api/php_includes/application/libraries - anet_1.1.8
>
> core-api/php_uploads - invoices
>
> csv_imports
>
> core-api/support/crons/running - *.process
> *.pid
>
> core-api/support/post-install/snapshots - dev-core.trac_07
>
> eric-production-122915.snapshot
>
> prod.20151216
>
> scion-air-invoicing
>
> legacy-snapshot.template
>
> local-prod-runtime-fix
>
> snapshot.20160310
>
> snapshot.0222
>
> prod-core.20160214.snapshot
>
> core-api/support/post-install/snapshots/dev-core.baseline/config -
> prod-tunnel.db
>
> my-local.db
>
> core-api/support/post-install/snapshots/dev-core.baseline/data -
> branch.brad.201*
>
> branch.*
>
> 11:24~/Work$ svn propget --strict svn:ignore -R core-api
> svn: E205000: Try 'svn help' for more info
> svn: E205000: Strict output of property values only available for
> single-target, non-recursive propget operations
Regarding the error you see, I'm not sure what your question is since
the error message quite directly states what was done "wrong".
Here's a corresponding mailing list post google brought up when looking
for svn propget --strict recursive:
https://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2008-08/0358.shtml

I think this explains the rational behind that limitation.

Regarding blank newlines: as far as I see newlines are printed after
each outputted entry --- aka: a separator after each file section... i.e.

"core-api/support/crons/running - *.process
*.pid"
-> "core-api/support/crons/running" has two entries: *.process and *.pid

"core-api/support/post-install/snapshots/dev-core.baseline/data -
branch.brad.201*"
-> "core-api/support/post-install/snapshots/dev-core.baseline/data" has
one entry: branch.brad.201*

I'm not sure about the newlines sometimes being printed in between for
instance here:
"
core-api/support/post-install/snapshots/dev-core.baseline/config -
prod-tunnel.db

my-local.db
"

I'd assume this translates to two ignore entries for
core-api/support/post-install/snapshots/dev-core.baseline/config. (aka:
prod-tunnel.db and my-local.db).

But then you have quite an old SVN version running (1.7.4). Using 1.9.4
on Windows and the SVN repository I'm failing to reproduce the issue
with these additional newlines.... So maybe it's something which got
fixed already and you should upgrade to a later version?
I could also imagine an issue with Windows style line endings in the
ignore-properties being stored and the output on Linux causing the
additional newline. Not sure whether this is actually possible (and if,
whether it's considered a bug). But then again your SVN version is quite
outdated. Better try to reproduce the behavior with a more up-to-date
client (at least 1.8.latest).

--
Regards,
Stefan Hett