subversion-users mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Advice for better SVN
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2016 14:08:05 GMT
On 24.11.2016 15:00, Pavel Lyalyakin wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Stefan Hett <stefan@egosoft.com> wrote:
>> On 11/24/2016 12:19 PM, 蝌蚪 wrote:
>>> I'm a programmer who very love SVN.
>>> When I commit works through Internet, send files one by one always very slow.
>>> Why don't archive all files as a single Zip file, and send the only file to SVN
server? (as like Git)
>>> Hope to help.
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> You'd determine the cause of the slowness in your case. For once: Make sure you are
using an appropriate protocol (http/https or svn(+ssh) rather than the file-protocol).
> file:// protocol? How would OP access a server on the Internet through file://?

NFS and CIFS work just fine over the internet, though I admit you'd have
to be a bit of a masochist to try that.

Back to the original topic: Subversion's deltas are, for most practical
applications, quite a bit more efficient than sending tarballs of whole
files would be ... and the ZIP format is significantly less efficient
than compressed TAR.

-- Brane