subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Hett <ste...@egosoft.com>
Subject Re: How to maintain a release branch?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2016 12:15:17 GMT
Hi David,
On 11/14/2016 12:59 PM, David Aldrich wrote:
> Hi Stefan
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
>> a) you manually apply changes to trunk and the release branch
> One thing I've never been sure of with svn is whether manually applying the same change
(i.e. by edits not merges) on branch and trunk is a good idea.  Can that result in conflicts
when merging later?
Yes it can. But again this depends on the process. If you only apply the
change in a file without really merging it, SVN won't add the marker
flagging that change got merged already. Hence a following merge of that
change (revision) will try to merge the change again. This can result in
a conflict, if the lines close to the change are out of sync between the
release branch and trunk. It won't cause a conflict, if the content of
both files is the same.

Certainly, if you use a proper merge, SVN won't try to merge the changes
again and hence this scenario won't cause a conflict then.

--
Regards,
Stefan Hett