subversion-users mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: Svn branching issue
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2016 18:07:45 GMT
On 11/7/16 9:58 AM, gyanendra ojha wrote:
> hi eric,
>
>         that is the issue, new branch created from old location is
> having the old path in svn log,i want it to point it to newly
> created branch path
>
>         for example there is svn old branch //depot/a/a.txt
>
>         now if i create branch //depot/b from old branch
>
>         it will have a.txt in b branch..but when i go to
> //depot/b/a.txt and at GUI of SVN..do right click and select
>         show log option..it shows history of changes done in a.txt but
>         in path section it still shows //depot/a/a.txt instead of
> //depot/b/a.txt..now if old branch gets deleted..this history
>         will be irrelevant for me

As I said I in my previous response, you should review info on peg &
operative revisions.

Also, even if you delete //depot/a/ , the history of //depot/a persists,
it is just not accessible when "peg" revision is "HEAD".

> requirement is to move a/a.txt to new location b/a.txt with
> history retained and that history should have changes pointing
>         to new location b/a.txt not a/a.txt

With Subversion, you cannot have the history changes pointing to the new
location after your move, because that would not reflect the actual
history! That would be re-writing history as if folder "a" never existed.

Eric.