subversion-users mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: SVN Properties
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2016 19:36:57 GMT
Hi Amad

On 11/1/16 10:26 AM, CM Analyst wrote:
> Hello,
> In our environment, there is a need to identify one or more set of
> files with a custom attribute. I expect SVN properties is the way to go?
> For a given set of .exes, I want to attach an attribute using the SVN
> property called "RC: Release Candidate".
> My questions:
> 1) Is this approach a recommended use for the SVN's property feature?
While there is nothing wrong with this use, given #2, it doesn't seem
like a particularly useful path.

Also, contrary to the apparent purpose of your proposed label, the label
will stick to the file even as you modify it. Which means that an update
to the EXE, would still be marked "RC: Release Candidate", and unless
you took an extra step in order to clear that setting. Since that step
could be forgotten, unless automated, it seems like a less-than-robust
mechanism.

Why not copy the exe to a "Release Candidate" folder in SVN?
> 2) Is there a way to search to later retrieve all .exes with the given
> property?
No. Also unclear whether you want to do this only for "latest", but also
for "over time". If you want to do it over time, that means exhaustively
searching through older releases.

> In my testing so far, I created:
> $ svn propset Released "This SW component is available for release." foo
> property 'Released' set on 'foo'
> $ svn proplist foo
> Properties on 'foo':
> Released
> svn:mime-type
> However, I was not able to then search and locate the file by its
> property.

Exactly.

> 3) What is a better way to indicate a given status/attribute on a set
> of files?

See my suggestion above about copying into a known folder. Would that
satisfy your requirements?

Eric.