subversion-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Dan Atkinson <...@dan-atkinson.com>
Subject Re: Subversion Exception - cleanup
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2016 10:26:35 GMT
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for this.

As I mentioned, the repo in question is no longer corrupt without any
intervention by me to fix, so this isn't a problem. In any case, I'm glad
to hear that bumping up the SQLite version should possibly resolve the
problem for others in future.

Kind regards, Dan

On 1 November 2016 at 23:14, Stefan <luke1410@posteo.de> wrote:

> On 10/28/2016 16:12, Dan Atkinson wrote:
>
> Hi Johan,
>
> The repository is on a local drive and I have several other repositories
> on the same drive as well that were unaffected.
>
> I do some tasks (update/tag) on the repository via the command line. I
> just checked and the version of SVN used on the command line is
> 1.8.15.14429.
>
> In any case, when I restarted my machine this morning, my repo was no
> longer corrupt.
>
> I don't know what caused it, or why it was fine again this morning, but
> this is no longer an issue for me.
>
> Kind regards, Dan
>
> On 28 October 2016 at 14:43, Johan Corveleyn <jcorvel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [ Added Dan Atkinson to cc, because he asked us to :-). Dan, see below. ]
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 12:51 AM, Stefan <luke1410@posteo.de> wrote:
>> > On 10/27/2016 16:36, Dan Atkinson wrote:
>> >> Hi there,
>> >>
>> >> Firstly, I am not subscribed to this mailing list so would appreciate
>> >> being explicitly CC'd in any responses. :-)
>> >>
>> >> When I attempted to update my repository, I received the following
>> update:
>> >>
>> >> Error: The working copy database at 'D:\Work\SVN\trunk' is corrupt.
>> >> Error: Try a 'Cleanup'. If that doesn't work you need to do a fresh
>> >> checkout.
>> >>
>> >> When I attempted a cleanup, I received the following message:
>> >>
>> >> ---------------------------
>> >> Subversion Exception!
>> >> ---------------------------
>> >> Subversion encountered a serious problem.
>> >> Please take the time to report this on the Subversion mailing list
>> >> with as much information as possible about what
>> >> you were trying to do.
>> >> But please first search the mailing list archives for the error message
>> >> to avoid reporting the same problem repeatedly.
>> >> You can find the mailing list archives at
>> >> http://subversion.apache.org/mailing-lists.html
>> >>
>> >> Subversion reported the following
>> >> (you can copy the content of this dialog
>> >> to the clipboard using Ctrl-C):
>> >>
>> >> In file
>> >>  'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.9.4\ext\subversio
>> n\subversion\libsvn_client\cleanup.c'
>> >>  line 227: assertion failed (svn_dirent_is_absolute(dir_abspath))
>> >> ---------------------------
>> >> OK
>> >> ---------------------------
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> ---------------------------
>> >> TortoiseSVN
>> >> ---------------------------
>> >> Cleanup failed to process the following paths:
>> >> D:\Work\SVN\trunk
>> >> The working copy database at 'D:\Work\SVN\trunk' is corrupt.
>> >> Try a 'Cleanup'. If that doesn't work you need to do a fresh checkout.
>> >> ---------------------------
>> >> OK
>> >> ---------------------------
>> >>
>> >> My version information is:
>> >> TortoiseSVN 1.9.4, Build 27285 - 64 Bit , 2016/04/24 13:59:58
>> >> Subversion 1.9.4, -release
>> >> apr 1.5.2
>> >> apr-util 1.5.4
>> >> serf 1.3.8
>> >> OpenSSL 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016
>> >> zlib 1.2.8
>> >> SQLite 3.12.1
>> >>
>> >> I am running Windows 10 v1511 (OS Build 10586.601).
>> >>
>> >> Our SVN server (VisualSVN Server) is running SVN 1.7.6 (r1370777)
>> >>
>> >> I did try to search the archives for similar problems but received a
>> >> 403 from Google when I attempted it.
>> >>
>> >> If you require any further information, please let me know directly.
>> >>
>> >> Kind regards, Dan Atkinson
>> >
>> > In case of a WC DB corruption I'd say your best bet is to do a fresh
>> > checkout and copy over locally modified files from the old working copy
>> > to the new one.
>> >
>> > You can also try to debug/troubleshoot the database corruption and try
>> > to repair the database (sqlite3 -> pragma integrity_check) but unless
>> > you have a reason to try to save your working copy, there's little point
>> > to do so, IMO.
>> >
>> > Although I doubt it's related to the corruption you ran into: Your
>> > VisualSVN Server is quite outdated. I assume you are running Visual SVN
>> > Server 2.5.6. I'd certainly suggest you to upgrade your server to 2.5.26
>> > at least (which will bring SVN up to 1.7.21). The upgrade should be as
>> > simple as clicking through the installer.
>> >
>> > If possible, you'd even upgrade to a later one which will bring SVN up
>> > to 1.8 or 1.9 (currently VisualSVN Server 3.5.6 is the recommended
>> version).
>>
>> It would of course be interesting to know how the working copy could
>> have ended up being corrupt. Any idea how it got corrupted, Dan?
>>
> I just recalled that we had cases of WC db corruption in our office too on
> two machines, when they ran into a bluescreen. It was suggested that this
> is due to an SQLite bug which was fixed in SQLite 3.13:
> "Fix a locking race condition in Windows that can occur when two or more
> processes attempt to recover the same hot journal
> <https://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html#hotjrnl> at the same time." [1]
>
> TSVN 1.9.4 is built against SQLite 3.12.1. The current stable nightly
> already raised SQLite to >= 3.13 I believe and hence the next TSVN version
> should contain the fix.
> Hence, if that merely same bug is also the cause for the problem the OP
> had, it should be fixed with the next version.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan
>
> [1] https://www.sqlite.org/changes.html
>
>

Mime
View raw message