subversion-users mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: Svn branching issue
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2016 17:12:31 GMT

On 11/6/16 10:26 PM, gyanendra ojha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was assigned a task to move a branch or folder to different location
> in svn
>
> Making sure that history of the old branch is retained and not lost
>
> I was able to do it and history was showing in even new branch
>
> But my problem is that when i do svn log in new branch location..it
> shows me path still of old branch

The old location is part of the history of the folder. As new changes
appear in the new location, those changes will show the new path. Older
changes that happened in the older location will show the old path.

Perhaps you're using something other than the command line client?
Perhaps the UI is making this confusing?

svn log has a "--stop-on-copy" option that will show you the history of
the changes only in the current location.

> I want history for this new branch to change as per new branch
> path..so that even in case the old branch gets deleted..i might be
> able to view the changes showing in svn log by going to the path

Subversion will not lose your older changes, even if you delete the old
path. All that deleting the old path does is remove the reference to the
contents for current and future versions of the parent folder. Older
versions of the parent folder still contain the older version of the
child folder.

You might benefit from understanding the difference between the "peg"
and "operative" versions.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.advanced.pegrevs.html

Eric.