subversion-users mailing list archives

From David Chapman <dcchap...@acm.org>
Subject Re: upgrading server
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2017 20:33:51 GMT
On 7/25/2017 11:00 AM, Andy So wrote:

> We have an old subversion /version 1.4.3 (r23084) /running on Solaris.
>
> We would like to upgrade to use new hardware on Linux based OS (CentOS
> 6.9), possibly version 1.8.x or 1.9.x
>
> Our plan is to installed and configure the latest SVN on CentOS 6.9.
> Then go through dump and load of the repository as described in
> various online post and documentations.  The repository is quite
> large…guessing the size to be in the order of 20-40GB
>
> Before we start undertaking such tasks
>
> 1.Does anyone know if there are there any problem/gotcha in migrating
> the repository?
>
> 2.Does anyone know how long it would take to export the repository of
> this size?  This will give us an estimate how long to schedule down
> time and cut off time.
>
> Thanks for any insight.

I recommend CentOS 7.x; CentOS 6.x is nearing the end of its support
lifetime.  I also installed an SSD on my new machine - much faster than
rotating media, and Subversion's "write once" philosophy (old revisions
are essentially immutable) works well on an SSD.

--
     David Chapman      dcchapman@acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA