subversion-users mailing list archives

From Arwin Arni Nandagopal <ar...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Questions on migrating SVN (and Trac) to a Google Compute Engine instance
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2017 06:37:35 GMT

They recommend setting up a "pre-revprop-change" script with nothing in it but the initial
"shebang", for each target repository, and then using "svnsync" to migrate the repositories.
It also assumes the existence of an "svnsync" user-ID on the target system, which (at least
assuming it's an operating system user-ID) we don't currently have.

This doesn't refer to a unix user id, just the username and password used to authenticate
to the source repository. It can be any username (not necessarily 'svnsync'). Just make sure
that it has read access to the entire repository that you are svnsync'ing
Everything else I've read, especially The SVN Book, says to use "svnsync" only for mirroring,
and instead migrate using some combination of "svnadmin dump," "svnadmin load," "svnrdump,"
and "svnrload."

While svnadmin dump/load is the recommended path for migrating repos to a newer version, svnsync
does pretty much the same thing. You just need to use the newer versions of the svnadmin and
svnsync binaries (which are installed in your target system).
I'm not seeing a lot about copying configuration files or hook scripts. Is that just a matter
of sending them over?

Neither svnsync nor svnadmin dump/load will take care of things like hook scripts/configuration
files. You will have to copy these over manually and place them in their appropriate paths.
And I don't quite understand how this whole business impacts the authors of commits. Does
SVN care whether the author of a commit is a user known to SVN or to the operating system?

While svnsync'ing you don't need to worry about authz at all, because I see that the document
you posted suggests init over file:// . This will not involve authz. You will however need
to set up and configure authentication and authorization just like it is in the old system
when you want to start using the new system.

Regards,
Arwin