subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Reedick <jreed...@incomm.com>
Subject RE: upgrading server
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2017 20:59:55 GMT
>> Does anyone know how long it would take to export the repository of this size?  This
will give us an estimate how long to schedule down time and cut off time.

Svnsync is the easy option.

If you insist on doing a dump/load, then a) you can time a test run of a dump/load, and b)
"svnadmin dump" allows you to specify revision ranges which means you can do incremental dumps.
 You can dump/load the bulk of the repo now and then during the migration, run another dump/load
to catch any new commits.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.reposadmin.maint.html#svn.reposadmin.maint.migrate

The only caveat I can think of is if someone changes revision properties (e.g. the commit
message) between the time of the initial dump and the migration.  But you can track/prevent
those with a hook script.  (And is another reason why svnsync is preferred.)