subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: svnignore?
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2017 17:27:34 GMT

On Dec 29, 2017, at 11:24, David Chapman wrote:
> On 12/29/2017 7:57 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> What is the equivalent of the CVS .cvsignore file?
>>
>> I have a lot of files that I don't want to get into the repository
>> because they are only temporary files created by the compiler every
>> time I do almost anything in the IDE. These are ignored when we use
>> CVS by the use of a global cvsignore setting plus .cvsignore files in
>> projects that need some more files ignored.
>> My main cvsignore file has something like 40-50 entries..
>>
>> I tried to study the svnbook on this matter but the closest I get is
>> to use:
>>  svn propedit svn:ignore
>> But this seems to be an exercise to be done on directory levels and my
>> IDE creates a lot of directories that are not versioned to begin
>> with...
>> Is there no way to make a global setting on the client side such that
>> the known files types will be ignored from svn?
>>
>> If it matters I use the SmartSvn program as a user interface on my
>> development PC. It was recommended for users wanting a GUI interface
>> like we had for CVS.
>>

> Tell Subversion to ignore temporary files in a working copy by editing the "global-ignores"
line in the file "config".  On Windows systems this is in "AppData\Roaming\Subversion" within
the user's home directory; on Linux systems this is in ".subversion" within the user's home
directory.  These are global per user, not per working copy.

> For example, my "global-ignores" line for Windows is:
>
> global-ignores = *.obj *.lib *.ciz *.map *.exe  *.bak *.pdb *.ilk *.idb
>
> Note that these directories are not present for a given user until that person has run
some Subversion command on the machine.  "svn --version" should be enough.

As of Subversion 1.8, you can configure svn:global-ignores in the repository as well.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.8/svn.advanced.props.special.ignore.html

"Subversion 1.8 provides a more powerful version of the svn:ignore property, the svn:global-ignores
property. Like the svn:ignore property,svn:global-ignores can only be set on a directory and
contains file patterns Subversion uses to determine ignorable objects.[21] These ignore patterns
are also appended to any patterns defined in the global-ignores runtime configuration option
together with any svn:ignore defined patterns. Unlike svn:ignore however, the svn:global-ignores
property is inheritable [22] and applies to all paths under the directory on which the property
is set, not just the immediate children of the directory."