subversion-users mailing list archives

From David Chapman <dcchap...@acm.org>
Subject Re: svnignore?
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2017 17:24:10 GMT
On 12/29/2017 7:57 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> What is the equivalent of the CVS .cvsignore file?
>
> I have a lot of files that I don't want to get into the repository
> because they are only temporary files created by the compiler every
> time I do almost anything in the IDE. These are ignored when we use
> CVS by the use of a global cvsignore setting plus .cvsignore files in
> projects that need some more files ignored.
> My main cvsignore file has something like 40-50 entries..
>
> I tried to study the svnbook on this matter but the closest I get is
> to use:
>   svn propedit svn:ignore
> But this seems to be an exercise to be done on directory levels and my
> IDE creates a lot of directories that are not versioned to begin
> with...
> Is there no way to make a global setting on the client side such that
> the known files types will be ignored from svn?
>
> If it matters I use the SmartSvn program as a user interface on my
> development PC. It was recommended for users wanting a GUI interface
> like we had for CVS.

Tell Subversion to ignore temporary files in a working copy by editing
the "global-ignores" line in the file "config".  On Windows systems this
is in "AppData\Roaming\Subversion" within the user's home directory; on
Linux systems this is in ".subversion" within the user's home
directory.  These are global per user, not per working copy.

For example, my "global-ignores" line for Windows is:

global-ignores = *.obj *.lib *.ciz *.map *.exe  *.bak *.pdb *.ilk *.idb

Note that these directories are not present for a given user until that
person has run some Subversion command on the machine.  "svn --version"
should be enough.

--
     David Chapman      dcchapman@acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA