Hiding the version information is but a piece of the puzzle. It won’t save a server from a persistent attacker. However, hiding the server software, and the software version, makes it harder for “drive-by” attackers to discover that your server is vulnerable. They don’t generally want to spend the time to test the universe of known compromises to server software, but if they know they only need to test for vulnerabilities to Subversion 1.7.X, then you’ve got their attention.

Hiding that information slows the drive-by attackers down, much like having a safe will do the same. In some cases the extra time nudges attackers towards looking for easier targets.

Eric