subversion-users mailing list archives

From Kris Deugau <kdeu...@vianet.ca>
Subject Re: Can import also convert the source to a working copy
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2018 17:45:13 GMT
Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 12:03:53 +0100, Johan Corveleyn
> <jcorvel@gmail.com> wrote:

>> See http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#in-place-import
>
> Seems like the best option is as follows:
> svn import WiFiConfig <url>/WiFiConfig/trunk --depth files -m "msg"
> svn co <url>WiFiConfig/trunk --force WiFiConfig
>
> I.e. First import the directory and then immediately check out the
> same with --force
>
> It still takes some time because I think svn needs to download the
> files into the cache in the .svn directory.
> I have a rather slow connection to the server from where I am...

Unless I misread your original post, the very first option in that link
looks like a better fit.  To rephrase it somewhat for your case:

1)  Create a repository or a directory in the repository
2)  Create your local files
3)  Check out the empty repository path to your workspace - this won't
overwrite any of your files
4)  svn add [files]
5)  svn ci
6)  Continue working as usual

This avoids a round trip to the server to push the current files, then
pull them back down to create the formal SVN working copy with things
already in it - instead you "check out" an empty directory which should
be quite fast.

-kgd