subversion-users mailing list archives

From Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: issue with relative externals after a rename
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2018 07:12:40 GMT
On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 5:36 AM, Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:
> On 28.03.2018 01:38, Jonathan Schell wrote:
>> I have a tree that looks like:
>>
>> https://svn/repo/name1/externs/normal_files_here
>>
>> The folder "externs" has two external properties:
>> ../fold1@18 fold1
>> ../fold2/file1.txt@18 file1.txt
>>
>> These folders and file exist at rev 18.  The commit to add the properties to "externs"
is commit 32.

>> I then do a rename of "name1" to "name2".
>>
>> The externs now break, as the item they were pointing to no longer exists.
>
> Because the default operative revision is HEAD and there's no such
> object in HEAD, yes.

Are you sure? That's surprising to me, because for normal commands the
operative revision always defaults to the peg revision.

For example, in [1] I read "Notice that we didn't provide an operative
revision this time. That's because when no operative revision is
specified, Subversion assumes a default operative revision that's the
same as the peg revision."

Or is there a different rule for externals definitions?

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.pegrevs.html

--
Johan