subversion-users mailing list archives

From Arwin Arni Nandagopal <ar...@collab.net>
Subject Re: command line syntax for svn diff
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2018 07:57:16 GMT
The "-dl -dr" is the value for the -x option which are passed as arguments to the external
diff command. These are parsed and used by your external diff tool. You'll have to see the
documentation for that tool (WinMerge in your case). That said, I don't really know what people
in GUI land do..

Arwin

From: Bo Berglund
Sent: Saturday, 28 April, 13:10
Subject: Re: command line syntax for svn diff
To: users@subversion.apache.org

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 06:39:24 +0000, Arwin Arni Nandagopal wrote: >There are revision keywords
like HEAD which references the latest revision >and PREV which references the last changed
revision of the target. >E.g: SVN diff -rHEAD:PREV target.file will show the changes between
the last >changed revision for that file and the latest revision, which is effectively
>the change introduced by that last revision. > Thanks! That made a good way forward!
I did this on the command line: svn diff -r HEAD:PREV espconfig.cpp And now I get output which
is a regular (humanly unreadable) diff: Index: espconfig.cpp ===================================================================
--- espconfig.cpp (revision 2446) +++ espconfig.cpp (revision 2434) @@ -175,7 +175,6 @@ *
A sets IP address as X.Y.Z.W format * B sets the serial port baud rate * C sets the wifi channel
number in AP mode (0-13 where 0 means no setting) - * F sets the STA mode IP address fixed
state * H sets if AP mode ssid shall be hidden (1) or not (0) * L load config into CnfTmp
* M sets the WiFi mode @@ -187,7 +186,6 @@ * a gets IP address * b gets the serial port baud
rate * c gets the AP mode channel number (0..13) - * f gets the STA mode fixed address setting
(0..1) * h gets the AP mode ssid hidden state (0/1) * i gets the WiFi MAC address * m gets
the WiFi mode .... etc with + and - indicators.... But what I would like is to get this loaded
into WinMerge so I can examine side by side the code changes in context. And of course the
example from the WinMerge docs does not work yet... I modified it thus: svn diff -r HEAD:PREV
--diff-cmd "C:\Programs\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe" -x "-dl -dr" espconfig.cpp I have no idea
what the parameters "-dl -dr" axtually do, though. Question: --------- Since I am new to SVN
but it has been around for like 15 years I expected this diff use to be pretty common but
I find little info when I google. Do people not use diffs into sensible GUI display programs
like WinMerge when using SVN? Or is GUI equivalent to saying TortoiseSVN? (which I cannot
install for reasons explained in my start post). -- Bo Berglund Developer in Sweden