subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Brandon L. Wisenburg" <bran...@wisenburg.com>
Subject Re: SSL handshake failed: SSL alert received
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2018 13:34:32 GMT
Hi Philip
Thanks for the reply. The odd part is when I do the openssl s_client it looks like the handshake
is successful.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Martin" <philip@codematters.co.uk>
To: "Philip Martin" <philip@codematters.co.uk>
Cc: "brandon" <brandon@wisenburg.com>, "users" <users@subversion.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:38:46 AM
Subject: Re: SSL handshake failed: SSL alert received

Philip Martin <philip@codematters.co.uk> writes:

> "Brandon L. Wisenburg" <brandon@wisenburg.com> writes:
>
>> svn update
>> svn: OPTIONS of 'https://domain/src': SSL handshake failed: SSL alert
>> received: Handshake failed (https://www.domain.com)
>
> You don't say which version of Subversion you are using but that looks
> like an old client as a newer client would include an error number in
> the error message.  An old client probably uses an old SSL library and
> it is possible that the client's SSL library doesn't support the SSL
> connection that the server is trying to establish.
>
> If the client has the OpenSSL tools installed you can use
>
>   openssl s_client -connect domain:443
>
> to see lots of detail about the SSL negotiation.

That may not be the problem.  The client appears to have sent an OPTIONS
request which happens after the SSL connection has been established.

If the client has the socat proxy installed you can use the instructions
here:

https://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/debugging.html#net-trace-socat

to get a network trace of the OPTIONS request and response.

--
Philip