subversion-users mailing list archives

From Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion server
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2018 07:15:43 GMT
On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Johan Corveleyn wrote on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 11:53 +0200:
>> I do think it would be a great feature though, to have --include and
>> --exclude options (with glob-like syntax, like our recent --search
>> option for 'svn ls') for certain svn commands. With server-side
>> support to only send the matching items (and falling back to pure
>> client-side filtering when talking to older servers). Then one could
>> do these as an efficient operation (if there is server-side support):
>>

> Even without any new server-side support, if the client can be assumed
> to have `svn ls -R` output, then it can simply drive the reporter in the
> right way for the server to return exactly the right data.

Ah yes, indeed. That'll surely be more efficient than downloading all
files and filtering client-side.

On top of that, the client can use the new-in-1.10 'svn ls -R --search
$glob-pattern' to gather the already-filtered list of files (a 1.10
server will perform the filtering of the list of files on the
server-side then). This is beginning to sound like low-hanging fruit
:-). For the include case at least ... for the exclude case there is
no server-optimized ls operation (yet).

--
Johan