subversion-users mailing list archives

From Thorsten Schöning <tschoen...@am-soft.de>
Subject Are my repos properly using ZLIB compression level 9?
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2018 09:40:32 GMT
Hi all,

I upgraded all my repos using dump/load and changed the compression
settings to use ZLIB 9, because I manage some pretty good compressable
files at a low commit rate and want to preserve as much storage as
possible for those. I used the following version of svnadmin and
changed the following setting in fsfs.conf only:

> svnadmin, Version 1.9.3 (r1718519)
> [deltification]
> compression-level = 9

Overall memory of all my repos dropped significantly, so I guess
thinks work as expected. But I didn't have a look at each individual
revision file, instead I simply committed some textual changes in some
text file in some test repo and found clear, readable text as DELTA in
the created revision file on the server.

Is this expected behaviour? I would have thought that all datas are
unreadable because of compression. Or is there some threshold or such?
What do I need to look for to make sure that ZLIB 9 is used?

Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55