subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Why does svn up give me a different file than in the repo
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2019 05:39:09 GMT
On Mar 5, 2019, at 12:23, Satya Mishra wrote:

> I recently encountered a strange problem while trying to revert a failed experiment.
svn revert apparently succeeded, but kept giving me the unreverted files. Example shell output
showing the problem is below. The sha1sum of the file doesn't match the sha1sum from repo
in this working copy. But it does in a freshly checked out working copy. I am using Subversion
1.10.3 on CentOS 7. I'll greatly appreciate any insight into why this might happen.

Is it possible that your "failed experiment" modified the pristine files in .svn/pristine?
When you "svn revert" a file, all that Subversion does is to copy the corresponding file from
.svn/pristine. Subversion intends that the files in .svn/pristine are pristine -- unchanged
-- but if you've modified them, then they won't be. Subversion assumes that nothing other
than Subversion will modify the contents of the .svn directory.

On the other hand, if you "svn checkout" a new working copy, the pristines (and the rest of
the contents of the .svn directory) don't yet exist, so Subversion sets up the .svn directory
and downloads the pristines from the repository.