subversion-users mailing list archives

From Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: File capacity limitation in theory in SVN
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:33:10 GMT
On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 7:53 AM Mark Phippard <markphip@gmail.com> wrote:

> Redirecting this to the users@ list where it is more appropriate.
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 7:33 AM sosogh <sosogh@126.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list
>>
>> There are about 1.65T , 2.72 million files ,274 thousand folders in Samba.
>> It consist of any file types : txt , bin , pic , audio , video and so on .
>> We are considering moving it from samba to SVN.
>> And the data may grow larger and larger .
>> We wonder that is there file capacity limitation in theory in SVN?
>> or if the data is too large , will it cause any downgrade performance ?
>> Thank you !
>>

> There are no size limits.  That said ...
>
> *  Subversion is not a good choice to use as a file server for the simple fact that you
can not ever really delete anything.  Do not use Subversion unless you are doing this to have
version control and to store the history of all files forever. That is what Subversion exists
to provide.

Amen. This...... is unlikely to work well. Be prepared to fracture it
into a whole lot of distinct Subversion repositories if you want it to
perform well at all. *Nothing* will work well for a single repository
of 2.72 million files with 274 thousand folders, which hints that each
folder contains more than 1000 files and certain folders will contain
far more.

> * While there are no limits on number of files or total size, when you start adding these
files and folders to your repository I would strongly recommend that you break it up into
a lot of commits and not just one really big commit.  If you do one large commit then you
get a single giant revision in the history and whenever you run commands like svn log that
look at the history it has to return this massive commit that can make those commands not
as nice to run as they are under normal circumstances.

Also, amen.