subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Marlow, Andrew" <Andrew.Mar...@fisglobal.com>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: svn version 1.10 lack of robustness in presence of flaky network
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2019 09:51:18 GMT
Sorry everyone, I mis-spoke below. While looking at this issue I was also filing a bug report
on the maven jar signing plugin, which also has a problem when the network is flaky. That
is the thing that was calling out to the timestamp server, not svn. I got mixed up, sorry.

Regarding the comment that was made, I don't know exactly how the svn repo is hosted in the
corporate environment I am in. It is accessed via an http URL (not https, I know). The underlying
filesystem is Windows because every now and then we get aggro due to the case preserving behaviour
of the Windows filesystem. But is it on a network share? Not sure, but I don't think so. IMO
that would be an extremely bad setup.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marlow, Andrew <Andrew.Marlow@fisglobal.com>
Sent: 24 April 2019 09:52
To: users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: RE: EXTERNAL: Re: svn version 1.10 lack of robustness in presence of flaky network

Reply below:

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Sperling <stsp@elego.de>
Sent: 24 April 2019 07:54
To: Marlow, Andrew <Andrew.Marlow@fisglobal.com>
Cc: Johan Corveleyn <jcorvel@gmail.com>; users@subversion.apache.org

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 12:55:47AM +0200, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 9:22 AM Marlow, Andrew
> <Andrew.Marlow@fisglobal.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > I got this error below during an svn co command. It left my workspace in a bad state
from which I had to do svn cleanup before trying again (the retry worked):
[snip]
> > I think this happens when the network is flaky. This error happened on windows but
I have also seen it happen on solaris 10.  Has anyone else seen this? If it is due to network
flakiness then perhaps svn should retry to work around this transparently, and thus be more
robust? Perhaps it could retry up to 3 times with a sleep a 1 second between retries?

> Is your working copy on a network filesystem (CIFS, NFS, ...)?
[snip]
While working copies on networks filesystems should generally work, such use is strongly discouraged.
[snip]
No. There is no network filesystem (CIFS) here. What about when I am using solaris? That's
proof that it cannot be due to CIFS. The internet is being used because that it is where the
timestamp server is. When the code tries to call out to that timeserver it has to travel via
the corporate network, including navigating via the internet proxy. This network call fails
randomly due a flaky network.

by persons other than the intended recipient. FIS is a trading name of the following companies:
Fidelity Information Services Ltd (registered in England No.02225203), FIS Payments (UK) Ltd
(No.04215488), FIS Asiapacrim Holdings Ltd (No.06707320), Certegy Card Services Ltd (No.03517639)
and Efunds International Ltd (No.01930117), all with their registered office at Floor 1, 51/53
Hagley Road, Birmingham B16 8TU, United Kingdom; and FIS Payments (Ireland) Ltd (registered
in Ireland No.126879), with its registered office at 25/28 North Wall Quay, Dublin 1, D01
H104, Ireland. FIS Payments (UK) Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority; some services are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (in the UK). Calls
to and from the companies may be recorded for quality purposes. All of the above companies
are part of FIS (Fidelity National Information Services Inc.).