subversion-users mailing list archives

From Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: V3 shelves slower than expected
Date Tue, 14 May 2019 08:53:42 GMT
Hi,

FYI: on the tortoisesvn users mailinglist some people reported
slowness of "shelves V3", compared to V1 and V2.

I thought this might be interesting to users@s.a.o in general, because
I'm guessing this problem is not specific to TortoiseSVN. I haven't
tried to reproduce it on the commandline myself, so my guess could be
wrong.

See below.

--
Johan

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <tortoisesvn+APn2wQcf2B-oqS2ZRdjB7Ijc4uV3x5OG956hSY9HCyD2FskPP9ZW@googlegroups.com>
Date: Mon, May 13, 2019 at 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: V3 shelves slower than expected
To: TortoiseSVN <tortoisesvn@googlegroups.com>

On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 14:18:06 UTC+2, Tluigi003  wrote:
> I'm aware it's an experimental function, that's the reason I'm reporting this!
> Comparing to V1 and V2, V3 is slow on big projects.
>

> In my use case I've cloned an entire web project, including back, front, SQL scripts...
etc. However, as a front developer I only edit front files, furthermore sometimes I have just
edited a few items.

> The process of shelving will take some (from 2 to 5?) minutes until completion. It's
not a big deal, but I'm just curious about the reason behind the change from V2 to V3

> Regards.

I can confirm this behavior. Shelving some tiny files with 1.12 showed
a dialog where it slowly transferred ~50MB before it completed,
whereas with 1.10 it was basically instant. This makes the whole
shelving feature rather unpleasant to use.