synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject RE: Mediator interface
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2005 01:27:07 GMT
On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 09:13 -0400, Glen Daniels wrote:
> +1 to Eran's point.  I think it should be a Context, and I think for
> early prototyping work anyway we should leave it as the Axis2
> MessageContext.  I'm fine with separating it out to
> synapse.MessageContext at some point if necessary.

+1 .. I suggest we try different paths - my intuition is that Synapse is
in effect an extension of Axis2 .. basically a framework for Axis2 to
run as a mediator runtime. As such, trying to abstract Synapse from
Axis2 is not a practical solution - we'll simply have to abstract a hell
of a lot of stuff.

What I suggest is that Ant try to build a basic framework to meet the M1
requirements and see how it ends up - if it works out ok then we can
consider that path.

On the dependency injection issue - IMO DI is not a solution to this
problem; that's just a way of hiding the info from the mediator author
saying "all you need is the SOAP infoset" when many mediations will
require more .. for the 90% case you'll end up defining the injection
method and then all you've done is just move that param to a new method
instead of having it in the interface signature.

Furthermore, Axis2's MC provides a layer of abstraction over some SOAP
stuff - in particular for addressing .. using the MC allows someone else
to worry about which version(s) of ws-addr to support but if you go to
the SOAP infoset directly then you can't do that.

Sanjiva.