synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Deepal Jayasinghe" <deep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ClassMediator vs. mediators as Axis2 services
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:19:19 GMT
Hi all;

pls see my comments below;

Thanks,
 Deepal
~Future is Open~

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ant elder
  To: synapse-dev@ws.apache.org
  Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 5:19 PM
  Subject: ClassMediator vs. mediators as Axis2 services

  Is the ClassMediator really needed?

  In yesterdays IRC chat there was some discussion about mediators being Axis2 services vs.
the ClassMediator which calls a Java class directly without going through an Axis engine.
It was said the ClassMediator is easier to use as you don't need a service xml and is faster.

  In Axis2 we just came up with that new feature , where you can make Java class into Axis
web service without having services.xml , so ClassMediator  is jus to do that I think we do
not need that , since Axis2 can support that nicely.

  Are these the only reasons for having the ClassMediator? Wouldn't having Synapse auto-deploy
to Axis2 (as Glen suggested) fix the complexity problem, and if it really is so slow going
through an empty AxisEngine shouldn't we try to get the Axis2 guys to fix that instead of
us just not using Axis? Surely a pass through an empty engine should just be a few empty loops
and a bunch of if statements which shouldn't add so much overhead?

  I agree with you going through empty engine will slow down the system , but you need some
Axis2 functionality like addressing support , to have that you need to use Aixs2 , else you
need to duplicate codes , simply need to write some other SOAP processing engine (We can think
that future if we really want that)

  One thing this would help with is with the addressing stuff. i don't really like having
<engage-addressing-in/> explicitly in the Synapse XML. Shouldn't Synapse just know when
addressing is required? If you have a Mediator the routes based on a WSA header then if the
mediator was an Axis2 service the addressing stuff could be engaged automatically on the pass
through the engine.

     ...ant