synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject databinding perspective [Re: SynapseObject - Reminder...
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:55:42 GMT
Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been quite for a while, basically due to the reluctance of
> jumping into the "lions den" :) But since the issue of "why ADB ?"
> popped up, lemme try to answer some of the questions and clear up the
> doubts.
> One question that was repeatedly asked in this thread was "Why ADB
> when you have XMLBeans?". Well XMLBeans is fine but it generates a
> *very* large number of classes, for a significant schema not less than
> a 1000 classes usually. It has a complexity of it's own and it won't
> really be straight forward when it comes to using the whole bunch of
> generated classes. Apart from this XMLBeans is somewhat slow in
> operation also. The only thing good about XMLBeans for me is that it's
> quite stable with schema and usually never fails to compile one!

well i think there is strong correlation between those two  for XMLBeans
(and other "100%" XML Schemes supporting tools)
1. very good support XML schema
2. complex, large number of classes that directly represent XML schema
constructs, somewhat slow and memory hungry ...
> The very reason that made us go the ADB way was this complexity and
> bulkiness of XMLBeans. ADB is a lightweight Databinding model,
> sufficiently independent from Axis2. ADB bean - a usual java bean with
> two methods to pull in and pull out an XmlStreamReader, is the core of
> ADB. The strength of ADB is that it's fast and lightweight (generates
> a significantly less number of classes). Currently ADB supports almost
> all the basetypes (well we interoperated with Msft WCF services!) and
> it has support for a significant subset in complextypes also. Thers
> are some schema constructs that ADB does not support at the moment but
> these constructs are rarely used in webservices and it can be safely
> assumed that ADB would be covering atleast 90% of the web service
> scenarios successfully.

again correlation for ADB (and other lightweight XML databinding) - i do
not know ADB but that is what I can guess:
1. very limited support for XML schemas (arguably 90% of what is common
but that depends on who is speaking ...)
2. simple, small number of classes, reflects expectations of Java
programmers that used Java Beans ...

and then there is of course plenty of space in between ADB and XMLBeans
and beyond (often I need to work with XML directly using one of many XML
APIs that do not require any XML schemas and of course there are
alternative to XML Schemas such as RELAX NG and other concerns may
override choices such as memory footprint or performance  ...)

the conclusion after years of looking on it: there is no *one*
databinding (to rule them all ...) and trying to shoehorn code (or XML)
to one particular databinding API is almost always a mistake ...

best,

alek