synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Mukund Balasubramanian" <muk...@infravio.com>
Subject Management Model for Axis and Synapse
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 06:35:42 GMT
Guys:

I know we have spoken about this before but I propose creating a native
management model for Axis (the underlying SOAP Stack) which can be
extended to satisfy the needs of Synapse as an intermediary built on
Axis.

There are, of course, varying definitions of "management" and a wide
variety of technologies to choose from (JMX, WSDM being prime candidates
discussed in the past). But here, I shall describe some "requirements"
which I believe are independent of the underlying implementation
technology but are also inline with the JMX/WSDM definition of best
practices.

The foundation of what I call "management" will be as follows:

1.	Discovery (ability to discover what's out there and what's going
on)
2.	Configuration (set, get, mod configuration)
3.	State (start, stop, other states?)
4.	Events (useful information about what's going on so you can
subscribe to it)
5.	Metrics (ditto but are aggregates)

The Infravio team has extensive experience in creating these management
foundations in a variety of different contexts and would be glad to
contribute the seed codebase for this feature set. The above constitutes
what would be an "agent" which is one piece of a management architecture
constituting an agent, a console server and a console.

One question which I had was that while this is essential for Synapse
participating in the "Web Services Management" space, there is a finite
amount of good that can come about if this was actually embedded in Axis
as well.

Would this be of interest? We are going ahead with the development of
the same for our products and thought we could contribute it if there
was sufficient interest.

Mukund Balasubramanian

PS: Can somebody forward this to Axis-Dev?