synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Soumadeep" <soumad...@infravio.com>
Subject RE: SynapseObject - Reminder...
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:30:43 GMT
Hi,

One thing I completely agree with Sanjiva is that this has been dragged
unnecessarily for this long. Let me emphasize here one thing, that the
intension is not to replace the concepts of data binding as used by XMLBeans
which is again an Apache project or trying to re-invent what has been
written. To this effect enough reasons have been provided as to why this
approach was taken.  For convenience let me give one of the use cases and
reasons for which SynapseObject was proposed:

Reasons:
1) Java Properties class lets you handle name-value pairs in a very good way
but when it comes to representing complex objects it becomes very difficult.
2) Using the concept of data binding introduces a very rigid and tight
coupling of data and schema. So if the schema changes the underlying data
handling mechanism needs to be changed (which includes the beans/classes to
hold the complex data structure)
3) Intelligent search features are either driven by xpath/xqueries for pure
XML or embedded logic if beans are used, SynapseObject has inbuilt search
features by which you can perform complex searches
4) The reason people use Java Properties class is because name-value pairs
can be shared by other class without any dependency. SynapseObject is more
like a Properties Class with added features to handle Complex Objects and
also allow search features.

Uses Cases:
A) Data-Sharing between mediators: Consumers need to be identified, once
it's identified the information could be shared by the SLA mediator which
depending on a consumer will set the priority. Below is the pseudo code  of
how this can be achieved using SynapseObject and how datasharing would
become easy.

Background Info:
-----------------------
ConsumerIdentification mediator needs to identify a client by the following
ways:
1) IP {eg. 192.168.5.*}
2) IP Range {eg. 192.168.5.20- 192.168.5.30}
3) WS-SEC auth token
4) HTTP auth token
5) certificate
(Other factors that need to be considered whether the incoming message was
first encrypted and then signed or was it signed and then encrypted).
Let's consider 1) IP

Using SynapseObject:
ConsumerIdentification
--------------------------------

xml frag:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='windows-1252'?>
<SynapseObject name="ci">
 <SynapseObject name="consumer0">
   <Attribute name="CONSUMER_TYPE" type="String">GOLD</Attribute>
   <Attribute name="IP_ADDRESS_FROM" type="String">192.168.6.0</Attribute>
   <Attribute name="IP_ADDRESS_TO" type="String">192.168.6.255</Attribute>
   <Attribute name="HTTP_AUTH_USERNAME" type="String">john</Attribute>
   <Attribute name="WS_SEC_USERNAME" type="String">john</Attribute>
   <SynapseObject name="assignedService">
    <Attribute name="serviceid1" type="String">stockQuote1</Attribute>
   </SynapseObject>
 </SynapseObject>
 <SynapseObject name="consumer1">
   <Attribute name="CONSUMER_TYPE" type="String">SILVER</Attribute>
   <Attribute name="IP_ADDRESS_FROM" type="String">192.168.6.255</Attribute>
   <Attribute name="IP_ADDRESS_TO" type="String">192.167.6.255</Attribute>
   <Attribute name="HTTP_AUTH_USERNAME" type="String">mary</Attribute>
   <Attribute name="WS_SEC_USERNAME" type="String">mary</Attribute>
   <SynapseObject name="assignedService">
    <Attribute name="serviceid1" type="String">stockQuote</Attribute>
    <Attribute name="ip" type="String">192</Attribute>
   </SynapseObject>
 </SynapseObject>
</SynapseObject>

in the ci mediator  code fragment

// the the requester ip
ip = {get the remote ip from the messageContext/SynapseContext }

//Identify if the consumer is there and get appropriate details and store
the consumer related details in the messageContext, one more things to note
is that storing shared data is by the mediator name itself eg. ci
SynapseObject obj =
consumerIdentification.findSynapseObjectByAttributeValueStartingWith(ip);
messageContext.setProperty(consumerIdentification.getName(),obj);
obj will contain all the required values if identified!

SLA
------

xml Fragment:

<SynapseObject name="SLA">
    <SynapseObject name="consumer0">
        <SynapseObject name="Service0">
            <Attribute name="EPR"
type="String">http://www.webservicex.net/stockquote.asmx</Atrribute>
            <Attribute name="priority" type="Integer">0</Attribute>
        </SynapseObject>
        <SynapseObject name="Service1">
            <Attribute name="EPR"
type="String">http://www.webservicex.net/findZIPCode.asmx</Atrribute>
            <Attribute name="priority" type="Integer">1</Attribute>
        </SynapseObject>
    </SynapseObject>
</SynapseObject>

in the SLA Mediator code fragment

//As there is a dependency between the SLA mediator and CI the SLA mediator
will pick information for its dependency (Note: we also proposed a concept
//of MediatorContext which will have dependency and other information for a
particular mediator)

//Get the identified consumer from the messagecontext
SynapseObject consumerIdentification =
(SynapseObject)messageContext.getProperty("ci");

// get the consumer name and consumer type
String consumerName = consumerIdentification.getName();
String consumerType = consumerIdentification.getString("CONSUMER_TYPE");

//find the sla details for the identified consumer
SynapseObject consumer =
sla.findSynapseObjectByAttributeValue(consumerName);
String fromAddress = (String)synapseMessageContext.getTo();
SynapseObject service =
consumer.findSynapseObjectByAttributeValue(fromAddress );

// The priority value would be used by the SLA mediator to forward the
request to the provider depending on the priority.
String priority = service.getString("priority");

Regards
Soumadeep