synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Ajith Ranabahu" <ajith.ranab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SynapseObject - Reminder...
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:05:32 GMT
Hi all,
I've been quite for a while, basically due to the reluctance of
jumping into the "lions den" :) But since the issue of "why ADB ?"
popped up, lemme try to answer some of the questions and clear up the
doubts.
One question that was repeatedly asked in this thread was "Why ADB
when you have XMLBeans?". Well XMLBeans is fine but it generates a
*very* large number of classes, for a significant schema not less than
a 1000 classes usually. It has a complexity of it's own and it won't
really be straight forward when it comes to using the whole bunch of
generated classes. Apart from this XMLBeans is somewhat slow in
operation also. The only thing good about XMLBeans for me is that it's
quite stable with schema and usually never fails to compile one!
The very reason that made us go the ADB way was this complexity and
bulkiness of XMLBeans. ADB is a lightweight Databinding model,
sufficiently independent from Axis2. ADB bean - a usual java bean with
two methods to pull in and pull out an XmlStreamReader, is the core of
ADB. The strength of ADB is that it's fast and lightweight (generates
a significantly less number of classes). Currently ADB supports almost
all the basetypes (well we interoperated with Msft WCF services!) and
it has support for a significant subset in complextypes also. Thers
are some schema constructs that ADB does not support at the moment but
these constructs are rarely used in webservices and it can be safely
assumed that ADB would be covering atleast 90% of the web service
scenarios successfully.
I guess this is what Dims meant by saying the long answer (or at least
part of it I would say). I'm yet to really explore the need for the
Synapse object and will be commenting on it soon.

Ajith

--
Ajith Ranabahu