synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Glen Daniels" <gdani...@sonicsoftware.com>
Subject RE: WSDL mediation
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:03:26 GMT
Hi Sanjiva:

> I've been thinking about this and it seems to me there are
> two levels of
> mediation Synapse can offer: a low level model where there
> are messages
> flowing thru and u mess with them as they flow thru and a higher level
> model where Synapse virtually hosts services which it
> mediates forward.
> That means in those cases Synapse handles ?wsdl, ?policy etc.
> properly.
> (That's basically the WS gateway model).

Right.  I think the latter model is a good deal more interesting, and I
believe those are the kinds of use cases that people in real enterprise
environments are concerned with.  I don't typically want something that
intercepts *all* my messages, I want a model for deploying individual
"virtual services" that I can manage, configure, and control
individually - and that can do things exactly as you mention with ?wsdl
?policy etc....

Personally I think Synapse should end up focusing on the "service-aware"
model, with the option of "wildcard services" that you can configure as
catch-alls (or catch-alls for particular types of messages, even).  This
kind of world would, I think, make it vastly easier to change the
configuration of per-service mediations without getting lost in a tangle
of non-relevant rules.  (and yes, I realize that you can build this with
either model "on top" of the other... :))

--Glen