synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A basic non-blocking http/s implementation for Axis2/Synapse
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:17:38 GMT
On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 00:46 -0800, Dave Irving wrote:

> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> >
> > Well, would you want to run a web service in production that can die on
> > you with 'out of memory' exception under load? I would not. This is way
> > worse that refusing connections under load due to the worker thread
> > depletion because it leaves the client without a reliable recovery
> > strategy. In my humble opinion AsyncWeb has severe architectural issues
> > due to its memory management.
> >

> Lets not get too carried away here.....
> AsyncWeb started life in an environment where all requests / responses were
> of bounded size - and a complete in memory buffering was totally acceptable.
> That does not in anyway mean that the asyncweb architecture does not allow
> us to easily start to support full request and response streaming - without
> any need to keep the request in memory.
> In fact, it is something which will be arriving in to the AsyncWeb world
> very soon.
> Perhaps you should take a look at ASYNCWEB-21:
> http://jira.safehaus.org/browse/ASYNCWEB-21
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave

Hi Dave

ASYNCWEB-21 will certainly make things better, but as long as there is a
chance of an internal buffer overflow or an OutOfMemory condition
because the buffer is unable to expand it capacity (for instance, when
the async content producer produces more content that the internal
buffer can accommodate) architectural issues with AsyncWeb in my opinion
will remain unresolved. I may be wrong but I do not see how ASYNCWEB-21
is going to fix that.

Cheers,

Oleg