synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HTTP NIO
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:52:36 GMT
Paul Fremantle wrote:
> Oleg
>
> Firstly, I'm copying synapse-dev!
>
> I'm not an expert so please forgive me if I make basic mistakes in
> understanding this.
>
> I agree our main requirement is simply to disconnect the thread model
> from the socket model. But since Axis2 can partially parse messages, I
> can see how we could start processing the SOAP headers before the
> whole of a large message was received. Especially if there is a
> monster file attachment. In other words, I would like to be able to
> start streaming an attachment out to the server before I've finished
> reading it from the client.

Hi Paul,

I see absolutely nothing that prevents you from doing that even using
blocking I/O. With the existing JVMs that are widely used in production
(Sun 1.4, Sun 1.5 for instance) these days classic I/O tends to be
significantly faster compared to NIO. This situation may change sometime
in the future, but for a number of years to come that's just the way
things are. One should not assume NIO necessarily provides performance
benefits compared to classic I/O only because Sun called it New IO. NIO
can certainly buy you more design flexibility (especially when it comes
to dealing with threads) but at a significant price in terms of
increased complexity, reduced performance and larger memory footprint.
NIO should be used with caution where appropriate.

Cheers,

Oleg