synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Irving <irvi...@logica.com>
Subject Re: A basic non-blocking http/s implementation for Axis2/Synapse
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:44:17 GMT

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> ASYNCWEB-21 will certainly make things better, but as long as there is a
> chance of an internal buffer overflow or an OutOfMemory condition
> because the buffer is unable to expand it capacity (for instance, when
> the async content producer produces more content that the internal
> buffer can accommodate) architectural issues with AsyncWeb in my opinion
> will remain unresolved. I may be wrong but I do not see how ASYNCWEB-21
> is going to fix that.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Oleg

Well - we shall see I guess. The streaming support will allow huge numbers
of requests to be handled in parallel with a small memory footprint. There's
also a whole load of stuff provided by MINA which will enable us to provide
cross-cutting memory management strategies. And, of course, connection
throttling is supported by MINA also, so there is no reason why a user of
asyncweb couldn't configure the underlying MINA engine to employ this too.

Perhaps you could give an actual concrete example of an individual memory
problem you percieve which - given ASYNCWEB-21 would not already exist in
other http components?

Dave