synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Rajith Attapattu" <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Endpoints and load-balancing
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:00:58 GMT
Excellent, this way we can combine axis2 and synapse to do clustering
effectively.
Thanks for the information.
Chathura can I try this out? Do u have a small example on how to do this?

Regards,

Rajith

On 3/11/07, Chathura Ekanayake <cce.axis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rajith,
>
> I have already implemented the session affinity based loadbalancing. It
> can bind a session id (e.g.soap session, RM session) to an endpoint, so
> that all successive messages from that session will be directed to the
> bound endpoint. In our new endpoint model, this endpoint can also
> be a failover endpoint. Therefore, a session can be bound to a failover
> group, which contains one master node (at a given time) and set of
> backup nodes. So if we consider the failover group as an Axis2 cluster, we
> can blindly replicate the state of the master node to backup nodes
> without considering the concurrency issues.
>
> I have to change my code a bit to suite the new endpoint model and NIO. I
> will commit the new code ASAP.
>
> Chathura
>

> On 3/10/07, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Chathura, Paul,
> >
> > Can these load balances identify affinity based on client properties
> > (like service group id or some other identifier) to make sure requests from
> > a particular client (or clients accessing the same service group) is always
> > redirected  to a particular node. This will help a lot in the axis2 case, so
> > we can do cheap clustering w/o worrying about concurrent access to the
> > replicated contexts. In this case we can replicate to backup nodes blindly
> > bcos the load balancer will always ensure one primary.
> >
> > I guess this could be another policy :)
> > Sorry if I am causing u trouble .
> >
> > Rajith
> >
> > On 2/21/07, Chathura Ekanayake < cce.axis@gmail.com > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Another advantage I see in the new endpoint model is that we can nest
> > > load balance and failover groups inside each other. One good use case for
> > > this is that we can load balance over set of failover groups to acheive
> > > scalability as well as high availability.
> > >
> > > So I propose following changes to endpoints and to the send mediator
> > > to support this model.
> > >
> > > We can have a Endpoint interface which is implemented by all the endpoints.
> > >
> > > public interface Endpoint {
> > >

> > >    public void send(MessageContext synapseMessageContext);
> > > }
> > >
> > > send method sends the message according to the given endpoint object. For example
a basic endpoint would send the message to the actual endpoint address and a load balance
endpoint would select another endpoint according to a load balance policy and call its send
method. So we can achieve the nested structure.

> > > Send mediator has a single endpoint object in which there can be a hierarchy
of endpoints. When mediating, the send mediator just calls
> > > the send method of its endpoint object.
> > >
> > > Each endpoint has its own endpoint factory which implements the EndpointFactory
interface.

> > > public interface EndpointFactory {
> > >    public Endpoint createEndpoint(OMElement endpointConfig);
> > > }
> > >
> > > SendMediatorFactory will call above factory method for its immediate child
endpoint. And each EndpointFactory will call factory methods for their child endpoints except
for leaf  level endpoints (address and WSDL endpoints). This is similar to the  AbstractListMediatorFactory.

> > > I think we can achieve the nested endpoint model cleanly using this design.
If this endpoint model and the desing is ok, I will start working on it.