synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Supporting mediators that initiate messages
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:15:50 GMT
Paul Fremantle wrote:
> I agree that once you understand creating an Axis2 transport it seems
> more logical, but here are some thoughts:
>
> 1) A file poller really isn't a "transport", so this might seem
> counter-intuitive.

I disagree- do you consider an POP poller a transport? I don't see any
difference between that and a URL poller (which is the way I'd do a file
poller .. that way its not special cased for local files and it ends up
supporting file/http/ftp schemes just with the support in the JDK. Plus
there's an established way to add new protocol handlers for URLs.

> 2) You have to understand a lot more about Axis2 to create a
> transport, so for "us" core developers its fine, but we want to
> encourage users to contribute new adapters, it might not seem so
> logical to them

I agree with this but if we have done this 3-4 times with care then others
should be able to mostly cut-n-paste.

> 3) The configuration is now somewhere outside the Synapse.xml. If I'm
> configuring a file-system-poller, I would like my config to be part of
> the dynamic synapse config, not elsewhere.

I see no reason why it can't be in synapse.xml. Axis2 transports can be
added at runtime without any problem.

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.