synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting mediators that initiate messages
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:29:53 GMT
I agree that once you understand creating an Axis2 transport it seems
more logical, but here are some thoughts:

1) A file poller really isn't a "transport", so this might seem
counter-intuitive.
2) You have to understand a lot more about Axis2 to create a
transport, so for "us" core developers its fine, but we want to
encourage users to contribute new adapters, it might not seem so
logical to them
3) The configuration is now somewhere outside the Synapse.xml. If I'm
configuring a file-system-poller, I would like my config to be part of
the dynamic synapse config, not elsewhere.

Paul

On 6/14/07, Asankha C. Perera <asankha@wso2.com> wrote:
> Paul
>
> I prefer the transport approach.. rather than letting mediators start
> creating threads, it seems the neater and more appropriate approach. I
> have been thinking of how we should best support new transports into
> Synapse / Axis2. Now that we have built the JMS and non-blocking http/s
> we should be able to quickly complete ftp, file, xmpp and other
> transports of importance, and donate these back to Axis2 once mature.
>
> asankha
>
> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > A while back we talked about having mediators be able to spawn a
> > thread and initiate messages into the Synapse environment.
> >
> > I've been thinking about how to implement a file-based model to allow
> > Synapse to poll a directory. The current model to implement this would
> > be to create a new Axis2 transport, which obviously will work.
> > However, I'd like to make it a little easier to interface with other
> > systems, and it seems like maybe simply kicking a mediator once its
> > instantiated with an init() call could allow a mediator to start some
> > workers.
> >
> > Thoughts?

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair