synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting mediators that initiate messages
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:08:10 GMT
Ok, then lets do the following:

1) Try to create a really good abstract transport class that can be
extended. My experience of us debugging the SMTP transport shows that
it isn't actually that easy - even for a core Axis2 developer - to
build a really good Axis2 transport that works in all scenarios (e.g.
composability with RM). We also need to document it clearly.

2) Lets add an approach in the Synapse.xml where users can configure
transports that get added to the underlying Axis2 transport model.

Paul

On 6/15/07, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:
> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > I agree that once you understand creating an Axis2 transport it seems
> > more logical, but here are some thoughts:
> >
> > 1) A file poller really isn't a "transport", so this might seem
> > counter-intuitive.
>
> I disagree- do you consider an POP poller a transport? I don't see any
> difference between that and a URL poller (which is the way I'd do a file
> poller .. that way its not special cased for local files and it ends up
> supporting file/http/ftp schemes just with the support in the JDK. Plus
> there's an established way to add new protocol handlers for URLs.
>
> > 2) You have to understand a lot more about Axis2 to create a
> > transport, so for "us" core developers its fine, but we want to
> > encourage users to contribute new adapters, it might not seem so
> > logical to them
>
> I agree with this but if we have done this 3-4 times with care then others
> should be able to mostly cut-n-paste.
>
> > 3) The configuration is now somewhere outside the Synapse.xml. If I'm
> > configuring a file-system-poller, I would like my config to be part of
> > the dynamic synapse config, not elsewhere.
>
> I see no reason why it can't be in synapse.xml. Axis2 transports can be
> added at runtime without any problem.
>
> Sanjiva.
> --
> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.