synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "ant elder" <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Synapse using SCA assembly model for configuration
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:32:45 GMT

> I recently read Dan's blog entry on the SCA assembly model:
> http://netzooid.com/blog/2007/07/22/sca-assembly-vs-spring-cxf/
>
> That and some other discussions I've had made me think about maybe
> offering the SCA assembly model to configure Synapse. So it seems to
> me that you can draw a direct correlation between:
>
> Synapse Proxy and SCA Service
> Synapse Endpoint and SCA reference
> Synapse Mediator - a specific type of SCA Component
> Synapse Property - SCA Property
>
> If we were to make the XMLConfigurationBuilder pluggable then we could
> just use this as an alternative configuration language. We did talk
> about this in the beginning of Synapse [we discussed having a LEX/YACC
> style config language - which I would still LOVE if someone wants to
> do that - it would make a great Computer Science project]
>
> Anyway back to SCA, it seems to me that this would be a pretty nice
> alternative config model, using an independent third party language.
> I'm guessing that there is plenty of Tuscany code could help us
> implement this. Maybe we might do it jointly?
>
> So I'm imagining the existing runtime being *exactly* the same as
> today, but being able to use a subset of the SCA Assembly model to
> configure it. Maybe some of the SCA wizards on tusc-dev can jump in
> and let me know if this is feasible?
>
> Paul
>
> PS If someone is looking at
> http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/07/scaproblem and wondering where this
> is coming from I offer a few thoughts. Firstly, I'm always open to
> being proved wrong! Secondly, this would not be adding any layers of
> indirection... I'm mapping directly from SCA concepts into the Synapse
> runtime with this idea. Finally, I see nothing wrong with holding
> several inconsistent viewpoints at the same time :)

Great idea. This is definitely feasible, and also i think it would be really
useful - so good for Synapse and good for Tuscany. You're right, we do have
plenty of code in Tuscany that we can use, a big part of recent Tuscany
releases has been around modularizing the code base to make exactly this
type of thing easy to do. So I'd like take you up on the suggestion to do
this jointly, as it turns out, i can even spend a bit of time helping make
this happen. Let me go pull some things together and I'll post more about it
tomorrow.

   ...ant