synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementing long-running things in Synapse
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:03:22 GMT
Asankha

My mail wasn't very clear. I'm not suggesting mediators. I'm
suggesting creating a new class of objects inside Synapse alongside
mediators.

Just like you don't want long running mediators, I don't think a
Quartz transport is the right thing either. It just isn't a transport!

Paul

On 7/24/07, Asankha C. Perera <asankha@wso2.com> wrote:
> Paul
>
> For some reason I get a feeling that mediators should not play around
> with threads... So let me propose something else instead.. we create a
> Quartz/Timer transport that can kick off a sequence at a specified interval?
>
> asankha
>
> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > We previously discussed allowing mediators to get warning about when
> > they get initialized. I was hoping to misuse this to start up work
> > items in Synapse. I realize that was a bit of a hack, so I have a new
> > idea:
> >
> > * Have a startup part of the config where you can define some classes
> > that get called at startup and shutdown of Synapse. Each class must
> > implement some kind of startup()/init() method and corresponding
> > shutdown.
> > * The call gets passed a SynapseEnvironment
> > * We add access to the underlying threadpool into the
> > SynapseEnvironment so that these classes can start threads or work
> > items.
> >
> > This could make it easy to do things like poll filesystems and inject
> > new messages. Much simpler than implementing a full Axis2 transport.
> >
> > Paul

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org