synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementing long-running things in Synapse
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2007 20:22:24 GMT
Actually I've been looking at Quartz. I had been imagining the
initializer approach to start up Quartz.

But now I've looked at Quartz I realize its a pretty generic way of
starting up and stopping almost any kind of scheduled or long-running
job.

That made me think maybe we should just build Quartz directly into
Synapse as the way of running other stuff. Its a pretty small
framework (400k).

Paul

> Asankha
>
> My mail wasn't very clear. I'm not suggesting mediators. I'm
> suggesting creating a new class of objects inside Synapse alongside
> mediators.
>
> Just like you don't want long running mediators, I don't think a
> Quartz transport is the right thing either. It just isn't a transport!
>
> Paul
>
> On 7/24/07, Asankha C. Perera <asankha@wso2.com> wrote:
> > Paul
> >
> > For some reason I get a feeling that mediators should not play around
> > with threads... So let me propose something else instead.. we create a
> > Quartz/Timer transport that can kick off a sequence at a specified interval?
> >
> > asankha
> >
> > Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > > We previously discussed allowing mediators to get warning about when
> > > they get initialized. I was hoping to misuse this to start up work
> > > items in Synapse. I realize that was a bit of a hack, so I have a new
> > > idea:
> > >
> > > * Have a startup part of the config where you can define some classes
> > > that get called at startup and shutdown of Synapse. Each class must
> > > implement some kind of startup()/init() method and corresponding
> > > shutdown.
> > > * The call gets passed a SynapseEnvironment
> > > * We add access to the underlying threadpool into the
> > > SynapseEnvironment so that these classes can start threads or work
> > > items.
> > >
> > > This could make it easy to do things like poll filesystems and inject
> > > new messages. Much simpler than implementing a full Axis2 transport.
> > >
> > > Paul

> Paul Fremantle
> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
>
> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org