synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Rajith Attapattu" <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Synapse and JBI
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:43:39 GMT
On 7/23/07, Ruwan Linton <ruwan.linton@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> First of all, thanks a lot for the information. We highly appreciate your
> feedback.
>
> Comments in-line,
>
> On 7/24/07, Michael Buchholz <m.buchholz@subnatural.de> wrote:
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > I search for a sub-topic of my master thesis about Web-Service Mediation
> > Systems. After reading the JBI spec I had the idea that a WMS (Synapse)
> > could be used as a CBR in JBI-Enviroments:
> >
> > The Normalized Message Router (NMR) does not provide content based
> > routing (CBR). Each component (Service Enging / Binding Component)
> > referres another component by service endpoint, name or interface. That
> > means each component has its own routing logic included. Also the
> > component that sends the normalized message to the NMR must make sure
> > that the normalized message payload is understood by the referenced
> > component. (if i got the specs right)
>

> You are absolutely correct.
>

> Synapse could provide a more convenient method to route messages by
> > providing CBR to a JBI enviroment.
> >
> > For this each component registered on the NMR could forward its
> > normalized message (NM) to the Synapse-Service Engine. Synapse can now
> > select the next component on the NMR for the incoming message type and
> > transform it to the message type of the selected component so that it
> > will understand it. All this is done by simply adding all the rules in
> > synpase rule-engine.
>

> Correct....
>

> In summary Synpase could provide:
> >   - validation & classification (incoming XML message from the NMR)
> >   - enrichment (for example calling other external services and
> > inserting this data into the xml message)
> >   - content based routing (choose next endpoint on the NMR)
> >   - transformation (transform outgoing message so that the selected
> > nmr-endpoint can understand it)
> >
> > .. that is a VERTO pattern: validate - enrich - route - transform -
> > operate.
> >
> > And all this information can be stored in the synapse registry. JBI
> > routing in a centralized way. The components don´t need any more routing
> > logic except sending their messages to the synapse endpoint.
> >
> > Well.. that´s it ;). What do you think?
>

> Yes, you are correct, but in that case synapse is an JBI SE, I don't think
> providing a SE to a JBI container makes us JBI compliant.
>
> But, we can very easily do this by providing a special send method for the
> NMR.

[RA] I don't think adding any JBI specific send method in the existing
interface will add much value to synapse.
Synapse already has a good abstraction layer (MessageContext,
SynapseEnvironment interfaces ..etc) , so 3rd party components can leverage
this flexibility.

If there is a demand and the community agrees we could provide a generic JBI
Service Engine in the synapse extentions module that does implement these
interfaces (at the least SynapseEnvironment). The NM can be wrapped or
converted to a synapse message context.

In a nutshell this SE will use Synapse to do transformations and/or CBR.

We were not interested in the JBI compliantness because we were not much