synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Job language syntax in the Synapse configuration
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:37:04 GMT
So .. I think this is not right yet.

The problem is that we're using *two* very generic terms: "startup" and
"job". I believe that with our current semantics, the prior means "do this
as you start up" and the latter means "execute a Java class at a given
clock ala cron". Is that right?

What I suggest is that we keep <startup> but change <job> to something
like this:
   <onAlarm class="..">
     <simpleTrigger ..> | <cronTrigger ..>
     <other stuff>
   </onAlarm>

I actually don't like simpleTrigger etc. - I'd prefer something like:
   <timer cron=..> and
   <timer count=.. delay=..>

This way, its clear that <onAlarm> is simply a task executed upon some
trigger. We currently only have timer triggers but we could later have
different triggers too.

In the future if we want something other than an alarm triggered task
executed at init time, then we can have new xml for that and just have it
execute. For example, I can see a <log> action being a useful startup
thing .. log a message to some place when the system starts up? (I did say
in the future BTW!)

Sanjiva.

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.