synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: Synapse Errors Multiple Threads
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 04:43:56 GMT
Hi Will
> 2007-11-07 17:54:35,065 [128.8.10.71-z.glue.umd.edu]
> [HttpServerWorker-15] ERROR Axis2Sender Unexpected error during
> sending message out
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: I/O reactor has been shut down
Whats interesting is what caused the IO reactor to shut down, and any
log messages that indicate that error is what I would need to figure
things out. Also please confirm that you are using a Unix/Linux system
for load testing, and let me know the OS version, exact JDK version, any
OS tuning parameters you may have used (e.g. whats listed at the end of
http://wso2.org/library/1721) and most importantly information about
your client environment - i.e. if HTTP 1.0 or 1.1 (chunked encoding) is
used and if keepalives are enabled. I believe you are testing this with
the latest Synapse 1.1 codebase and not the 1.0 release. We are about to
release the 1.1 code early next week and thus thats what you should use
for any testing right now.
> The best I've tested so far is 1000 requests with concurrency level of
> 50.  I tried tweaking the thread settings in synapse.properties file
> without any luck.  Has synapse been tested against handling large
> number of concurrent requests? Any thoughts why I'm getting this error?
The default burned in settings for the NIO transport can manage well
over many hundreds of thousands of messages and even reach thousands of
concurrent connections - but provided you have properly tuned your OS! I
would recommend a Linux System with JDK 1.5.x with adequate OS tuning as
specified in the above link and a client that uses HTTP 1.1 with
keepalives to reach the peak levels.

I would be happy to explain the reasons behind not using HTTP 1.0 or
keepalives for a performance test if you are interested. If you could
provide me with complete logs and the above details, I could try to
reproduce your scenario if I can to investigate further. However, for
now you do not need to think about overriding the default settings of
the NIO transport.

asankha