synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: EMail mediator configuration
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:27:04 GMT
As for improving the password safety here are two points:

1) unless the system has a secure registry or hardware store for passwords,
it is very hard to make them secure. So sometimes its better to have it
inline in the config - it reminds the sysadmin he has to keep the config
safe! I've seen arrangements where the system uses a way of masking
passwords, with the result that someone publishes an exploit on how to
unmask them. The exploit is really based on the fact that people assume the
masked password is safe when it isn't.

2) if we are going to do something in addition, then the right thing to do
is use the same PWCallbackHandler interface that Rampart uses. This is a
standard Java interface and if we use the same interface then we can re-use
PW handlers from Rampart.

Paul