Hi

I have a scenario where a Synapse user needs to do processing on two Synapse nodes. Basically one node sits in one office and reads files from the file system and then processes them into an XML message. These are then sent ( e.g. via HTTP) to another Synapse node in another office where the actual processing of that XML takes place.

Now, of course when we are building a development environment, there is no need to have two Synapse nodes - a single Synapse instance can do both parts. This got me thinking about having one Synapse config that could be "deployed" in either a single node or two nodes, and how we might do that. In other words there would be a "logical" model and then a specific deployment.

Suppose I have proxyA which is listening on the filesystem, which then calls sequence A (file->XML), then sends the message to endpoint B. [First office]. Endpoint B is pointing to Proxy B, which then calls Sequence B (all happening in the second office).

So here is a sketch of the synapse config

<proxy name=A transport="vfs">
   <inSequence>
      <seq ref=seqA>
   </inSequence>
</proxy>

<proxy name=B transport="http">
  <inSequence><seq ref=seqB></inSequence>
</proxy>

Here is one way we could solve this. First, we need a way of pointing endB to proxyB that is automatic ( i.e. not based on hardcoded URLs but basically calculated by Synapse). Suppose we have a syntax like this:
<target>
   <endpoint name="endB">
      <synapseProxy ref="B"/>
   </endpoint>
</target>

So now Synapse automatically somehow calculates the actual URL. Details are left to the reader as an exercise :)

The second thing we need is a way to map the proxies onto real servers. What we could do here is to extend the <proxy> definition not just to include transport, but also a virtual name for a particular server. I guess I'm thinking something similar to SOAP Roles, where a particular node could be playing the part of one or more logical servers.

So then we would change the definitions to say

<proxy name=A transport=vfs node=OfficeA>
<proxy name=B transport=http node=OfficeB>

So now all we need is some way of saying which node this particular server is running as. In the devt environment, both logical nodes would be running in a single instance. In the real environment, the exact same config would be run on two different nodes. We could configure which nodes a server was acting as via commandline params, or environment variables, or maybe a properties file.

I hope I've explained it clearly!

Thoughts? Other approaches?

Paul
--