synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Senaka Fernando" <senaka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding a Field to the AlgorithmContext
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:47:42 GMT
Hi Hiranya,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka
<hiranya911@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Senaka,
>
> Now I get your point. Thanks for the explanation. Please find my comments
> in-line.
>
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Senaka Fernando <senakafdo@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Sorry for not making myself clear. What I meant was, to make it possible
>> for you to store an object say AlgorithmXX in the context, in such a manner
>> that it will be useful along with a LoadbalanceAlgorithm. Instead of merely
>> storing an Object type. This is because an Object is very general notion,
>> and I don't think the intention here is to allow someone store anything on
>> the AlgorithmContext, but some additional data, which is required by the
>> Algorithm.
>>

> The idea is to facilitate passing some algorithm implementation specific
> data along with the AlgorithmContext so that they can be used in the
> algorithm implementation. Different algorithm implementations may have
> different data requirements. For an example one algorithm might want a
> string parameter from the AlgorithmContext whereas another algorithm
> requires an entire MessageContext object. The actual requirement will depend
> on how the algorithm selects the members to distribute the load. This is why
> I thought of adding an Object field to the class so that the same field can
> be used in different ways in different algorithm implementations. It's
> totally up to the algorithm developer to use it the way he/she wants. Also
> in most cases some changes to the load balance endpoints will be required to
> initialize the object field accordingly.

Well that might sound logical to use an Object type and keep things simple.
I suppose you are trying to achieve the very same thing as storing some
property on the Config Context, and using a single object instead of a
Collection in here. And, this may infact be efficient than using a
Collection anyway, as you are storing one-or-no objects using the stored
object as a reference.

> In case of the round robin algorithm all it needs is the endpoint index
> value for the next member in the members list. And for most algorithm
> implementations this is all that is needed. AlgorithmContext already
> supports this. What I suggest is to have a field which enables passing an
> arbitrary data item along with the AlgorithmContext.

Yes, this is infact a positive move. Algorithm implemetations should have
the freedom to make use of artibitrary data, with respect to the base
implementation. And, thereby we'll not need to constantly update the context
when a new algorithm is to be introduced.

> WDYT?

I'm +1

Regards,
Senaka