Ok. We solved that problem.

I reinstalled the JDK 5.0 Update 10. The problem was not in the CLASSPATH or the JAVA_HOME, but it was the JVM used by Apache Tomcat: I right clicked on the Monitor Tomcat icon --> Configure... --> tab Java --> browse and set the JDK 5.0_10 JVM (in my case C:\Programmi\Java\jdk_jee_5u10\jdk\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll).

I go on with the project. Now I have to recompile Synapse under JDK 5.0 Update 10.

Pasquale