synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject load-balancing endpoint doing too much
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:00:54 GMT
I was chatting with Asankha the other day and he explained that the
current load balancing endpoint is doing not just load balancing but
also failover. That is, it picks a node to deliver to, copies the
message, sends it and if it succeeds sends the response and done or if
it fails it will send the message to the next endpoint and so on.

So its really a failover + loadbalancing endpoint.

While its a useful feature, it has a major performance hit - it has to
keep a copy of the message in memory.

So, I'd like to suggest that we write a pure load-balancing only
endpoint that does not support failover. This will be useful for people
who are concerned about memory implications of the current
failover+loadbalancing endpoint.

Thoughts?

Sanjiva.

--