synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: load-balancing endpoint doing too much
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:34:14 GMT
Hi Sanjiva
> I was chatting with Asankha the other day and he explained that the
> current load balancing endpoint is doing not just load balancing but
> also failover. That is, it picks a node to deliver to, copies the
> message, sends it and if it succeeds sends the response and done or if
> it fails it will send the message to the next endpoint and so on.
>
> So its really a failover + loadbalancing endpoint.
>
> While its a useful feature, it has a major performance hit - it has to
> keep a copy of the message in memory.
>
> So, I'd like to suggest that we write a pure load-balancing only
> endpoint that does not support failover. This will be useful for
> people who are concerned about memory implications of the current
> failover+loadbalancing endpoint.
Sorry if I was not clear.. we already have this when the "failover"
attribute is set to "false" - but the default is to use failover with
load balancing. Internally the message is either serialized, or
serialized with consume depending on this

<session type="http|simpleClientSession"/>?
<loadBalance [policy="roundRobin"] [failover="true|false"]>
  <endpoint .../>+
</loadBalance>

Reference:
http://synapse.apache.org/Synapse_Configuration_Language.html#load-balanced-endpoint