synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Hubert, Eric" <Eric.Hub...@foxmobile.com>
Subject Offer to support Synapse development
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 22:25:27 GMT
Hi Synapse-Devs,

Since more than a year I've been actively following the Synapse users and dev mailings lists.
Some of you may have also noticed my efforts to improve Synapse from a user's perspective
by reporting bugs and submitting feature requests including implementation ideas and minor
code contributions.
I would like to extend this support in the direction of active code development.
As a starting point I checked out Synapse trunk, imported the projects into Eclipse and activated
my normal development toolset (Findbugs, PMD, Checkstyle, EclEmma). Well by having a look
at the number of potential code problems I think there is some room for improvements (as always).
;-)

I have seen you guys are using the great Hudson project as your CI environment: http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Synapse%20-%20Trunk/modules
Have you ever considered setting up a doc job for Synapse using the following plugins:
http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/FindBugs+Plugin
http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/PMD+Plugin
http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Checkstyle+Plugin
http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Cobertura+Plugin
http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/DRY+Plugin

From my personal experiences I can say it's really worth to use it, especially to always have
the trends of those metrics available. You will find some examples on the pages presented
above.

My personal interests regarding Synapse concentrate on the http transports, Hessian application
protocol usage, server management, monitoring, the improvement of error logs for faster problem
recognition, full JDK 6 compatibility, and the separation of implementation and API supporting
custom development of mediators.
Besides this I'm willing to contribute also in other areas, but those are the ones my focus
is on.

The only question is where to start? I don't think it makes much sense to provide dozens of
small code fixes in a great number of patches (per class or package). Too much work during
review. A big patch touching too much files is even worse. Small and independent changes are
important for a suitable review process.

Thus I think it is best to start with small, independent features provided as a patch. As
the very first start I would like to contribute a small enhancement to the Hessian message
builder to detect fault messages.

So I created a new JIRA for it:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNAPSE-514

I tried to follow the conventions I have found. It would be nice if someone could review the
patch and provide feedback. If you find any problems, I'll correct them.

Regards,
   Eric